Dr Annemarie Lombard is the founder and CEO of Sensory Intelligence® Consulting. She is also the Author of “Sensory Intelligence, why it matters more than IQ and EQ”
1. Why did you decide to start your business?
I was working in clinical practice as an occupational therapist with children with learning difficulties. After doing it for 15 years, I got bored and needed a different challenge. I loved the sensory processing theories which I applied in practice and wanted to use it in a different context. I gave up practice and started using it in training and development for adults.
2. What impact has running a business had on you and the community in which you operate?
I believe we truly empower parents, teachers, corporates and contact centers. We provide back-to-basics and simplistic insights and tools so that people can manage their work, life and relationships better. We’ve had amazing feedback over the years where our insights have changed the lives of people.
3. Would you say that your business is a success?
Yes it is. I just wish there were less rules, legislations and taxes. It would making life easier for a small business owner.
4. What do you think are the top 5 most important qualities every entrepreneur should have?
A vision and a dream – it is the start
Resilience and guts – business is tough
Commitment to never give up – you will get more no’s than yes’s
Hard work – be prepared to work extremely hard
Work-life balance – have some fun too
5. Who is your role model?
My PhD mentor
6. Do you think it is important for entrepreneurs to have a mentor?
Yes absolutely, I have a business strategist working with me which has been extremely helpful.
7. What advice do you have for aspiring entrepreneurs out there?
Dream big and just do it.
Make sure you love what you do.
Be real, honest, transparent and make a difference in the lives of others.