Tapuwa Mataruka is the founder of UniVision Channel.
1. Why did you decide to start your business?
When I realized that there was substance, I could add to the community I was in. There were skills I had gained, and networks I had built with like-minded friends. Dreams are never planted in a mind that cannot bring them to life.
2. What impact has running a business had on you and the community in which you operate?
On me, total confusion but growth. It’s not easy you make loses, but with each loss and disappointment there is a lesson to learn. The community in which I operate has been quite hostile, in all honesty there is a lot of social tension and unhealthy competition at UCT. Not taking away anything from the loyal friends and partners that have helped, at the end of the day to remain in business you need support, and support or following means numbers.
3. Would you say that your business is a success?
A bit of both but perseverance is key. I have never believed in failure, I believe in lessons being learned, good or bad day.
4. What do you think are the top 5 most important qualities every entrepreneur should have?
5. Who is your role model?
Everyone that has contributed positively in my upbringing. I can’t tie it down to a single individual, but I have definitely let my ambition be shaped by anyone that has inspired me.
6. Do you think it is important for entrepreneurs to have a mentor?
Yes, definitely. My analogy of a mentor is someone that helps you check your blind spots. A mentor has to strengthen one’s weaknesses.
7. What advice do you have for aspiring entrepreneurs out there?
Ambition is the ability to see beyond limitation.
Connect with Tapuwa on LinkedIn