Tumelo Semppe is the founder and owner of Born Bred Hustler clothing brand.
The brand, founded in 2012, has now grown from being a t-shirt label to a movement. The brand is more about empowering and changing peoples lives.
Here is Tumelo’s interview.
1. Why did you decide to start your own business?
I saw a gap/need in the market and capitalized. As they say where others see a problem, Entrepreneurs see an opportunity. Entrepreneurs are problems solvers.
2. What impact has running your business had on you and the community you operate in?
It was actually an eye opener in the sense that it showed me that I have the potential and what it takes to run a business. It took out the doubt and instilled the confidence and self belief.
Serving clients with excellence.
3. Why is your business a success?
I would say my business is a success merely because it has created job opportunities.
4. What are five things that Entrepreneurs need to be successful?
1. Belief: Believe in Yourself, Dream, Hustle/Work Ethic.
2. Focus: If you set your mind on something go after it. There will be distractions, challenges, obstacles it’s part of the journey, you just focus your eyes on your goal.
3. Hard work: a dream doesn’t become a reality through magic, it takes sweat, determination, sacrifice and a lot of hard work.
4. Positive Circle of Influence: Surround yourself with greatness. If you surround yourself with people who build you, make you grow, challenge you to be better, you will become great.
5. Never Give Up: Things may seem impossible when you start but keep your eyes on your goal, play your part and the right people will connect with you.
5. Who is your role model?
My role model is my mother. She comes from a previously disadvantaged family background, she doesn’t have matric but that did not determine her destiny. She has her own company and is now living her dreams, that on its own showed me that anything is possible if you set your mind to it. (Change starts in the mind)
6. Do you think it is important to have a mentor?
It is very vital to have a mentor. You need someone who has experience in the field you want to venture into, to guide you and show you the pro’s and con’s of the business/industry.
7. What advice do you have for aspiring Entrepreneurs?
If you have a dream chase it. Stop waiting for people’s approval. There is a reason why that dream was given to you. So protect and nurture it.